A Healing Approach to Muscular and Joint Pain
Prolotherapy is an innovative technique that relieves pain by directly impacting the underlying condition causing that pain. In contrast to many medical treatments that may provide only temporary benefits, this safe, proven treatment offers lasting relief.
Research studies show that over 80 percent of people treated with prolotherapy report a good or excellent result.
Many conditions respond well to prolotherapy, such as facet syndrome (back and neck arthritis), whiplash, joint sprains, degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, tennis elbow, sprains, chronic tendonitis, and more. At the National Spine & Pain Centers, board-certified pain specialists can determine if you are a candidate for this healing alternative and help you get your life back.
How does prolotherapy help?
Prolotherapy promotes long-term, often permanent pain relief by stimulating the body’s ability to repair itself. Here’s how it works and why prolotherapy is such a highly effective pain treatment:
- A solution of concentrated dextrose and local anesthetic (steroids are not used) is injected into the affected ligaments, tendons, or joint capsules
- This solution acts not as a nutrient, but by stimulating the body’s natural ability to repair these tissues, encouraging growth of new ligament or tendon fibers
- Multiple treatments encourage additional tissue growth to restore and strengthen the affected area
- An individual plan is devised with prolotherapy treatments scheduled every two to six weeks until the healing is complete, and you can return to normal activities without pain
How long does it take?
The total appointment time takes approximately 30 minutes, including preparation, treatment and recovery time. Performed in a medical office, prolotherapy relieves pain without the risks of surgery, without general anesthesia or hospital stays, and without a prolonged recovery period. In fact, most people return to their jobs or usual activities right after the procedure.
What are the expected results?
Initially, mild but temporary swelling and stiffness may occur. Some patients see noticeable improvement after the first sessions are completed, while others realize increasing improvement on each successive visit. Research studies show that over 80 percent of people treated with prolotherapy report a good or excellent result. Many of them are permanently cured. Not only do they enjoy simple pleasures again – a good night’s sleep, sitting through a movie, taking a walk – but many also return to physical activities such as soccer, mountain biking, jogging, skiing, even horseback riding.
Patient Success Stories
Barry Isaacs, Corporate Tax Consultant → These conditions were severely debilitating rendering me a de facto cripple. A chance reference to prolotherapy by a friend suggesting I give it a try led me to Dr. Wagner. All the conditions I came to him with are either completely gone or so substantially improved that were I not so fanatically intent on being 100% cured of everything, I could probably stop the treatments now.
Susan Sanders, Restaurant Server → This was a huge decision. After starting the series of prolotherapy treatments combined with physical therapy, I started feeling better. I am very glad I had the treatments and now have my life back.
Cassandra Sturkie, Attorney → My situation changed once I found Dr. Friedlis. Over the past year, I have had multiple treatments of prolotherapy in my SI joint area and coccyx. Prolotherapy produced meaningful results.
Will Courtney, Halogen Performance Computing → Dr. Wagner was the only doctor who understood that the pain I was experiencing was not normal and could be fixed. I can’t thank him and his staff enough for getting me back to this level.
Larry Stich, LTC Insurance Specialist → To make a long story short, after months of doctors, specialists, epidural blocks, physical therapy, you name it, I was in no better condition than I was after the initial trauma and still in incredible pain. The Prolotherapy that I have received is the only thing that has brought improvement to my condition. The pain that I have to deal with has been reduced by about 75 percent.
Prolotherapy In The News
- Biomechanics: “Sweet Relief” by Dean Reeves
- Athletes Joint Shots Raise Profile of Prolotherapy
- Practical Pain Management: Prolotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Prolotherapy for Neck Pain & Instability: X-rays Show Improvement After Treatment
- Treatment of Neck Pain & Headaches with Regenerative Injection Therapy
- Prolotherapy for Chronic Back Pain
- Knee Pain / Osgood-Schatter: Treatment to Keep Athletes in Game
- Prolotherapy for Arthritis of the Thumb and Fingers
- Dextrose Prolotherapy and Pain of Chronic TMJ Dysfunction
- Prolotherapy for Musculoskeletal Pain